1 hr 34 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Chef #784013's Note:
From The Cupcake Deck by Elinor Klivans. The addition of mocha mousse to these cupcakes makes them perfect for an extra-special occasion and worth the slightly longer time it takes to make them! Note: Make the chocolate ganache frosting first, the mocha mousse filling second, and the actual cupcakes last.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For chocolate ganache frosting
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For mocha mousse filling
- 3/4 cup chocolate ganache frosting (see above)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream (this really makes them moist)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING (Makes about 1 & 2/3 cup and the extra can be used for fudge sauce over ice-cream because it will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks):.
- 2In a medium sauce pan, heat the cream and the butter over low heat until the butter has melted, but do not let simmer or boil.
- 3Remove pan from heat and stir in the chocolate chips.
- 4Let the chocolate chips sit in the hot cream to soften.
- 5Stir in the vanilla extract until the chocolate has melted.
- 6FOR MOCHA MOUSSE FILLING:.
- 7In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream, sugar, and instant coffee with a hand mixer until the the coffee dissolves, and then up the speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 8Fold the 3/4 cup chocolate ganache filling into the whipping cream mixture a little at a time .
- 9Chill the mousse filling in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, as it needs to be really cold when you fill the cooled cupcake bottoms (otherwise the filling will run).
- 10FOR CUPCAKES:.
- 11Melt chocolate over simmering water in a double-boiler or heat proof bowl. Once melted and smooth, let it cool slightly.
- 12Sift flour, baking powder, salt & soda into a bowl.
- 13In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until creamy (about 2 minute with stand mixer on high).
- 14On low speed, add in the melted chocolate until combined.
- 15On medium speed add the eggs one at a time until smooth.
- 16Add in the vanilla and beat until the mixture is creamy (color should be slightly lighter).
- 17Mix in the sour cream until no white streaks remain, but don't over mix.
- 18On low speed, add half of the flour mixture until it is incorporated--don't over mix.
- 19Add in the water and mix it until incorporated.
- 20Scrape bowl and add in the rest of the flour and mix on low until flour is incorporated and batter looks pretty smooth (again, don't mix too much or the cupcakes lose lightness).
- 21Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put rack in the center of oven.
- 22Fill each liner up to the top of liner.
- 23Bake 22-24 minutes.
- 24Cupcake tops should feel firm and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- 25Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- 26Remove the cupcakes from the pan onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- 27Once cupcakes are fully cooled, use a sharp knife to slice the top off each cupcake (this is so you can fill them).
- 28Place cupcake tops right side up on a wire rack, and set aside cupcake bottoms on a serving platter.
- 29To frost cupcake tops, spread one tablespoons of the chocolate ganache frosting over the top of each cupcake top.
- 30Let cupcake tops cool until the ganache frosting is firm.
- 31Next, place a dollop of mocha mousse filling on each cupcake bottom. Using a wide metal spatula, carefully place the cupcake tops w/ cooled frosted ganache topping on top of the mousse filled cupcake bottoms.
- 32It may help to refrigerate the assembled cupcakes for about 30 minutes to an hour before serving so that everything firms up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.8
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 119.2 mg
- Sodium 180.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 43.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g