Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love chocolate cakes (so does my hips......)This cake is rather rich, slightly decadent but sooooo yummy. Any berry can be used, I mostly make the sauce from a mixture of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. As it's flourless I sometimes make it for Passover if we've had a light dinner.
- 10 ounces dark unsweetened chocolate squares
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
For the raspberry sauce
- 4 ounces fresh raspberries or 4 ounces frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line the base and sides of a 8 inch spring form with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (au bain Marie).
- Let slightly cool.
- Whisk the yolks with 2 tbs of the sugar until creamy.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and butter and mix well.
- Beat the eggwhites with the remaining sugar until very stiff.
- Fold the eggwhites into the chocolate mix and pour the mix in the prepared form.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- When the cake is cooled, keep refridgerated.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl, stir and then blend until smooth.
- For an extra smooth sauce simply pass through a sieve.