Recipe by Dee514
If you are looking for a delicious, impressive dessert, you should give this recipe a try. This cake is best when made the day before serving. Garnish the top with the chocolate whipped cream and nuts just before serving. The Prep/Cook times do not include the minimum 3 to 4 hour cooling time needed before serving.
Top Review by AshleyATTACK! :)
this was the best dessert i have ever had!! seriously! it was rich and moist and all together great! i made it in a circle pan and made it double layered. i made it for valentines day, `everyone loved it! if i could give this 10 stars i would! thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup hazelnuts (4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate
- shelled hazelnuts (for garnish - optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
- In food processor or blender, coarsely grind hazelnuts to make 1 1/4 cups.
- Combine ground hazelnuts and melted butter.
- Press hazelnut/butter mixture into the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the sides of greased pan.
- In a saucepan combine the cut up chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Remove cream from heat.
- In a mixer bowl, beat eggs and vanilla at low speed until well mixed.
- Add flour and sugar, beat on high speed for 10 minutes, or until thick and lemon colored.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining (1/2 cup) heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Stir about 1/4 of the egg mixture into the melted chocolate.
- Fold remaining egg mixture into chocolate mixture, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Turn mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until puffed on the outer third of the top.
- (Center will be slightly soft).
- Cool cake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan sides.
- Cool on a rack 3 to 4 hours.
- Cake may be served at room temperature or chilled.
- If serving the cake the next day, cover and store in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, decoratively pipe (or dollop) the chocolate whipped cream on the top of the cake and garnish with whole hazelnuts.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream: In a small saucepan, combine heavy cream and semisweet chocolate.
- Stir over low heat until all the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir until there are no chocolate specks remaining.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and chill well.
- Just before serving, beat cream until stiff peaks form (tips of peaks should stand straight).