Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A rich chocolate cake that I am going to try to make for my 17th birthday (August 9).
For the Cake
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
For the Whipped Cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate
- Line an deep 8" round spring form cake pan with greaseproof paper - do not grease paper.
- Melt combined chocolate and butter in heatproof bowl.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine eggs and sugar in bowl, beating with an electric mixer until thick and creamy.
- Fold in sifted flour.
- Fold in chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until cake is crusty on top and soft in the center.
- Let cake sit until cool.
- Cover cake pan with tinfoil and freeze for at least several hours.
- Just before serving, place pan in hot water to loosen cake.
- Remove cake from pan and place onto a serving dish a few hours before serving.
- Garnish with Chocolate Whipped Cream right before serving.
- CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a small saucepan, combine heavy cream and semisweet chocolate.
- Stir over low heat until all the chocolate has melted.
- Remove from heat and stir until there are no chocolate specks remaining.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and chill well.
- Just before serving, beat cream until stiff peaks form (tips of peaks should stand straight).
- Pipe onto cake as desired.