Recipe by HokiesMom
From Family Circle magazine - have no idea when as I just cut out the recipe card with the picture. This is made in a jelly-roll pan. I have made this recipe again and used just 2 cups of flour (instead of the original 3 cups and the cake was flat so I'd suggest adjusting to 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups of flour) It should have the normal consistency of a cake batter when finished mixing.
Top Review by Breezytoo
I wanted to love this, but the cake was so dry, even with the mousse, it just crumbled when slicing. (this surprises me with the buttermik as the liquid) I made it exactly as written with no deviations and don't usually have any problems baking, but for some reason this just didn't turn out like I'd hoped. The batter was extremely thick too and I can't help wonder if there was too much flour. Not sure what the problem was, but would like to try it again sometime to see if I can get it right.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (make the batter consistent with normal cake batters)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (2 7/8 ounce) packagesinstant milk chocolate mousse mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- chocolate curls (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F and coat a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper; lightly coat paper with spray also.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl in microwave on 100% power for 1-2 minutes; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in eggs and melted chocolate.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Alternatively beat in flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, ending with flour.
- Evenly spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F degrees for 25 minutes or until top springs back when pressed. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then invert onto rack; remove pan and parchment paper; let cool completely.
- Slice cooled cake into thirds - each piece 10x5x1-inches.
- Prepare mousse following package directions ADDING cinnamon.
- Stack cake layers with 3/4 cup mousse between layers and 1 1/4 cups on top.
- Chill for 1 hour then garnish with chocolate curls.
- Keep any leftovers stored in the refrigerator.