From Family Circle magazine - have no idea when as I just cut out the recipe card with the picture. This is made in a jelly-roll pan. I have made this recipe again and used just 2 cups of flour (instead of the original 3 cups and the cake was flat so I'd suggest adjusting to 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups of flour) It should have the normal consistency of a cake batter when finished mixing.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (make the batter consistent with normal cake batters)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (2 7/8 ounce) packagesinstant milk chocolate mousse mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- chocolate curls (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F and coat a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper; lightly coat paper with spray also.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl in microwave on 100% power for 1-2 minutes; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in eggs and melted chocolate.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Alternatively beat in flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, ending with flour.
- Evenly spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F degrees for 25 minutes or until top springs back when pressed. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then invert onto rack; remove pan and parchment paper; let cool completely.
- Slice cooled cake into thirds - each piece 10x5x1-inches.
- Prepare mousse following package directions ADDING cinnamon.
- Stack cake layers with 3/4 cup mousse between layers and 1 1/4 cups on top.
- Chill for 1 hour then garnish with chocolate curls.
- Keep any leftovers stored in the refrigerator.