Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
this recipe came from Americas Test Kitchen...
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 12 ounces sweet butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs, seperated
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- Place both chocolates and the butter in a saucepot over med.
- heat to melt.
- When almost all melted remove from heat, and keep stirring until melted.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat 8 egg whites with the salt until just frothy.
- Add in 1/3 cup of the brown sugar and beat for 30 seconds.
- Add the last 1/3 of the brown sugar and beat on high speed of mixer until you have soft peaks.
- Set aside.
- Slightly beat the egg yolks with a whisk and whisk fold into the cooled chocolate well.
- Now whisk fold some of the beaten soft whites into the chocolate mixture well.
- Add remainder of whites in the mixture, folding well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 inch spring form pan.
- Place a piece of parchment over the greased and floured pan for bottom.
- Make sure you have all sides greased and floured also-- Wrap bottom of cake tin in double foil, so no water will leak in during the water bath cooking.
- Preheated oven, bake 325 degrees F.
- for 50- 65 minutes.
- Internal temperature should be 170 degrees-- There should be no jiggle left, but not over 170 degrees-- Remove from water bath and remove foil wrap.
- Place on a wire rack and cool 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around edges, but do not remove from pan.
- Cool for 4 hours on rack.
- Cover the top now with saran wrap, and place in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnite.
- Not less time than this.
- Eight hours after chilling.
- or next day, remove saran, and open the spring to remove sides.
- turn upside down onto a plate, and remove the parchment bottom.
- Turn right side up onto serving platter-- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired and serve with fresh raspberries.