Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
If you love chocolate this is the cake for you. Recipe is from a local restaurant. Chocolate cake, layered with a rich chocolate mousse, topped with chocolate ganache. My husband's favorite.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare cake-In large bowl combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla-Beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling Water.
- Divide batter in pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and cool completely.
- To prepare mousse-Combine all ingredients and whip on high till soft peaks form. Chill under ready to spread over cake layers.
- To prepare chocolate ganache-combine chips and half and half in double boiler and cook until combined. Remove from heat and let cool
- Once cake layers are cooled, spread mousse between layers.
- Spread Chocolate ganache over entire cake-best to do when ganach is a BIT warm or room temperature.
- Allow cake to cool and set.
I made this for the first time today, it was very well received!!!! Nice & moist. My only problem was the mousse, it became runny. I think the next time I will put gelatin (unflavoured) in it.
This cake was so rich, moist and chocolatey that I couldn't believe it! It was easy to make and I had most of the ingredients on hand. I made it with a buttercream frosting this time because my brother LOVES buttercream frosting, but can't wait to try the ganache. I would definitely only make half or one third the amount of mousse recommended. I had about 6 cups leftover. Very yummy.