Recipe by DrGaellon
Courtesy Alton Brown
Top Review by Tracey B.
I melted the choc mixture til completely smooth. I substituted vanilla for the rum. But do not omit the coffee! I uses regular brewed coffee . That brings out great flavor when mixed with chocolate. I heated the gelatin mixture in a saucepan in the same double broiler water til combined. Everyone raved about this!
- 1 3⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 12 ounces quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces espresso or 3 ounces strong coffee
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
Directions See How It's Made
- Chill 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in refrigerator. Chill metal mixing bowl and mixer beaters in freezer.
- In top of a double boiler, combine chocolate chips, coffee, rum and butter. Melt over barely simmering water, stirring constantly. Remove from heat while a couple of chunks are still visible. Cool, stirring occasionally to just above body temperature.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup whipping cream into a metal measuring cup and sprinkle in the gelatin. Allow gelatin to "bloom" for 10 minutes. Then carefully heat by swirling the measuring cup over a low gas flame or candle. Do not boil or gelatin will be damaged. Stir mixture into the cooled chocolate and set aside.
- In the chilled mixing bowl, beat cream to medium peaks. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining whipped cream in two doses. There may be streaks of whipped cream in the chocolate and that is fine. Do not over work the mousse.
- Spoon into bowls or martini glasses and chill for at least 1 hour. Garnish with fruit and serve.