Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is heaven in a pot. The perfect end to a romantic meal or when you just feel like a treat. Don't forget to leave enough time to chill this in the fridge.
- 250 g good-quality chocolate, about 70 per cent cocoa solids
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 75 ml hot espresso coffee
- 50 ml very hot water
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a saucepan with the butter, coffee and hot water.
- Heat on the lowest setting and let the chocolate and butter melt.
- Only stir once or twice, any more and the chocolate may become gritty.
- While the chocolate is melting, beat the whites to a thick froth.
- When it's done melting, stir once and take off the heat.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes until the mixture is warm but not hot.
- Mix the egg yolks with a fork, then fold into the chocolate, butter and coffee mixture.
- Stir three or four times to amalgamate.
- With a metal spoon, slowly fold in the beaten egg whites, taking care not to knock out the air.
- Pour the mixture into small serving dishes, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours until thick and glossy.