Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this on a website, and have been using it for several years for Passover. It has always been a big hit with the family. You can make this year round as well.
- 226.79 g semisweet chocolate
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4.92 ml water
- 4.92 ml instant coffee granules
- 14.79 ml butter
- Melt the chocolate with the butter, water and the coffee granules. Cool slightly.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks. Beat in 1 tablespoon sugar. Add to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- In an other bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add one tablespoon sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gently add to the chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The first time I made this recipe my egg whites wouldn't stiffen up. So I beat them in with the chocolate mixture. The result I got wasn't mousse (and I didn't expect it to be), but it wasn't pudding either. It was just some fluffy chocolate stuff... nevertheless it was DELICIOUS fluffy chocolate stuff. The second time I made it, it was more mousse-like, but I think it kind of tasted better as "stuff." I omitted the coffee both times. Thanks Studentchef!
This recipe is both delicious and forgiving! My chocolate must have cooled too much as it was stiff and hard to fold in the egg whites - by the time they were incorporated the mixture was no longer light and fluffy (though a lot less stiff). I opted to add a few more whipped egg whites and folded those in and viola! Delicious and not a bit left after last night's dinner with friends.
This is wonderful and tastes so luscious and rich. The directions do not specify, but I dissolved the coffee granules into the water before adding them together. :) Thank you for sharing a terrific recipe!