Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a raw-egg mousse that should not be served to those with compromised immune systems. I have made the recipe many times though, with no problems. You can use kirsch, brandy, strong coffee, or another flavor extract to change the taste.
- 6 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavoring)
- 1 tablespoon cream (or milk)
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double-boiler. Stir in the vanilla extract and milk and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Add egg yolks to chocolate mix, one at a time. Stir after each addition until well mixed.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold chocolate mixture carefully into egg whites, and stir gently until evenly mixed.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
So rich in flavor, yet very light in texture. This is a lovely chocolate dessert that no one would ever guess was so easy to prepare. This is a must for any chocoholic. It gets "fluffier" the longer it chills, so you'll be doing yourself a favor by adhering to the instructions of chilling for at least 4 hours. Thank you for sharing your recipe, KiminyMe. Made for Spring 2011 Pick-A-Chef.