Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From BH&G's Australian Diabetic Living Issue 12 2007. I have not included chilling time (3 - 4 hours) but have included 20 minute cooling time as part of cooking time. NOTE March 3rd 2011 I made a half recipe (for 4) and got 4 1 cup desserts and 1 3/4 cup desserts from the mix and after 4 hours chilling it was more like a thick pudding than a mousse but we still enjoyed but the one that was left over was beautifully set the next morning so would allow all day or overnight setting for this recipe.
- 60 ml water (1/4 cup)
- 3 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 1 liter prepared low-fat custard (4 cups)
- 50 g dark chocolate (good quality chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (sifted)
- 3 egg whites (from 50gram eggs, at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- cocoa powder, to dust (optional)
- Place the water in a small bowl, sprinkle over the gelatine powder and stir.
- Set aside for 5 minutes, or until the powder swells and absorbs the water.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, place the custard, chocolate and cocoa powder, stir over a low heat until chocolate dissolves. Whisk to combine.
- Add the gelatine, stir over a low heat until gelatine dissolves completely.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer to a large heatproof bowl, set aside for 20 minutes to cool slightly.
- Using electric beaters, whisk the eggwhites until soft peaks form, add the sugar and whisk until firm peaks form.
- Add a large spoonful of the eggwhites to the chocolate mixture and fold in until combined. Add the remaining eggwhites and fold in until just combined.
- Evenly spoon the mousse between 8 x 185ml (3/4 cup) glass serving dishes, smooth the surface.
- Place on a a tray and refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours or until set and well chilled - after making this I found it needed overnight to set as a mousse or you end up with a thick pudding.
- Dust with cocoa just before serving if using.
Except for the final dusting with cocoa powder, I made this in the early morning, followed your recipe right on down, & by supper time (when my son & DIL got here) this delicious mousse was ready to be served! Really, really nice, & I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of dark chocolate! So delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]