Recipe by kmdipaolo
This goes with Chocolate Motherlode Cake (Claim Jumper's Chocolate Motherlode Cake) that I posted from Claim Jumper's Restaurant in Colorado. Please note that this makes enough for a two layer cake. If you are making the six layer Claim Jumper Motherlode Cake, be sure to make 3 recipes.
- 1 lb fine-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop chocolate.
- In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
- Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides.