Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
High Octane chocolate fix, which hasn't any sugar. (as such) can be frozen. I find it a little too rich as written, and usually fold through 1 cup of whipped cream. I serve these in small cups (very rich) with their saucer and a cream wafer biscuit.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 ounce butter
- 6 ounces chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons coffee extract (or 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in a little water)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- Put the egg yolks, butter and chocolate in a heat-proof bowl, set over a pan of hot water.
- Cook gently, whisking occasionally, until chocolate has melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the rum and coffee.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold into the coffee mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into 8 small ramekins or pots or cups, and refrigerate to set.
- Decorate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- If TRULY showing off, decorate with fresh strawberries and cream.
This got rave reviews from everyone. I did follow your suggestion and folded in heavy cream. The addition of the heavy cream really lightened it up. It was more like a chocolate mousse. It was served the fresh whipped cream and strawberries. I will remember this one for later. Made for the Aussie Swap.
I made this today for Little Miss (DD) and Hubby who are both huge chocolate fans and they really enjoyed it. I changed the serving to four and added the whipped cream as you suggested in your description and they both loved it. I thought they would eat one serving each tonight and the other serving tomorrow but I was wrong. Thanks Mumma for posting your recipe.
I made this for 4 serves and it was so easy to put together and so delicious. Requests are already in to have again. Thank you mummamills. Made for Who Am I.