Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this yummy sounding/looking recipe in her Comfort Food magazine. It was frosted with her recipe for Mocha Fudge Frosting, which I posted separately, Mocha Fudge Frosting (Paula Deen).
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 Spray 2 (9 - inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour; line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, and spray again.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add half-and-half, oil, and eggs. Beat at medium speed with a mixer for 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add coffee and vanilla, beating until combined. Divide batter evenly into pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and cool on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread about 3/4 cup Mocha Fudge Frosting onto one layer. Top with remaining layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired.