Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is very good. It is great for Christmas. It is fun to make with the kids. My kids like dipping the truffles and putting the sprinkles on them.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 5/8 ounce) package Andes mints candies, chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- chopped nuts, sprinkles and crushed candy canes
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in the egg, sugars and extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in 3/4 cup Andes candies.
- Roll rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until tops appear slightly dry. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt 1 teaspoon shortening and remaining chocolate chips and Andes candies; stir until smooth. Melt white baking chips and remaining shortening in a microwave at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip half of the cookies in melted chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Dip remaining cookies in melted baking chip mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on wax paper. Immediately sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.