Recipe by Courtly
These are definately going to be on my christmas cookie tray this year! This recipe comes from a brand name baking magazine.
Top Review by CakesByLova
I made these cookies for a cookie exchange party. And not trying be snooty. But mine were the best, hands down. So soft and wonderful flavor. They stood out on the table with all the other platters because of their wonderful green color. Recipe should state a little more clearly on how to melt the chocolate. I microwaved it with intervals of 20 seconds. And stirred in between. I also put a slight bit of red sprinkles on mine. They were a hit.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375. In large bowl, beat sugar, 1 cup butter and the vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk until smooth. Beat in flour and cocoa.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into 1 inch balls. On ungreased cookie sheet, place balls 1 inch apart. With inxes finger or thumb, make indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and the powdered sugar on low speed until smooth. Beat in milk, peppermint extract and enough food color for desired color. Spoon about 1/2 t. filling into each cookie.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening, and drizzle over the tops of each cookie.