Recieved this recipe from Taste of Home and couldn't wait to try it. I love that they only served two so perfect for DH and me when I wanted something special for just us. They came together easy, were light, fluffy and oh so chocolate. It calls for mint extract but I didn't have that so just used vanilla and it was still good. Think it'd be really good with the mint and maybe a little mint leave as garnish.
- Separate eggs.
- Place whites in a small bowl; let stand until room temperature.
- Place yolks in another bowl; set aside.
- Coat two 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips and extract until chips are melted.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- With a spatula, fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain.
- Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Transfer to prepared ramekins.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until tops are puffed and centers are almost set.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Tasty, but the souffles looked a little lost in my larger ramekins, and I would prefer a smaller serving. I want to make these again using dutch-processed cocoa and confectioners' sugar, and use my stand mixer instead of my hand-held mixer. In the name of science, of course! Made for The Wild Bunch for ZWT8's Family Picks.
Rich and delightful! These were easy and delicious. My ramekins were a little too small, so I split it into three, and that worked great. Thanks for sharing! ZWT7