Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Love to make these for a special treat during the holidays!
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bits
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 4 -6 drops peppermint extract or 4 -6 drops mint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 2 -4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cookies: Combine brown sugar, butter and water in large, heavy-duty saucepan.
- Cook over med heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted.
- Add chocolate bits; cook, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are set.
- Cool on baking sheets for 1 minute;.
- Remove unto wire racks& cool.
- Filling: Beat confectioners sugar, 1/3 cup butter and mint extract in large mixer bowl.
- Add milk until smooth and of desired spreading consistency.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons filling onto flat side of 1 cookie; top with second cookie, flat side down.
- Squeeze together gently.
These were good. ALL my kids liked them. They are a little greasy. I needed way more than 4 to 6 drops of peppermint, closer to 12 to 16. Doesn't hurt if you slightly overcook them. very yummy!!
Turned out perfectly! YUM!
Super simple to make--the cookie itself is soft, chewy and oh so chocolately! I love the mint filling--it's so refreshing! I made a whole batch of the dough and usually roll them into balls and stick them into a freezer proof container so I can bake cookies in small batches. I refrigerate the filling and bring it to room temperature after baking a small batch. This is a keeper, thanks so much for sharing!