Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
We used to make this when we were kids. Happy to pass it along!
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract or 3 -5 drops peppermint oil
- Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler.
- Mix rest of ingredients, except extract, in large heavy bottomed pot and cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Lower heat and continue cooking without stirring to 262º (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from heat, add chocolate and butter, stirring only enough to blend.
- Pour into a shallow greased pan. Put flavoring in center of the mass and work carefully into the mixture. When cool enough to handle, remove from pan, divide into pieces, and pull until somewhat lighter in color.
- When cold, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Wrap in waxed paper or candy wrappers.