Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from a mailing list and it was so good I had to share it! This pie goes over well with company--and kids!
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed chocolate sandwich style cookies, 1 cup reserved (Oreo's are best)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 quart mint chocolate chip ice cream or 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 4 tablespoons creme de menthe (optional) or 4 tablespoons mint extract (optional)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons creme de menthe (optional) or 2 teaspoons mint extract (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- Combine 1½ cups cookie crumbs and melted butter or margarine.
- Press firmly over bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Spread half of softened ice cream in crust.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons creme de menthe, or mint flavouring and sprinkle 1/2 cup cookie crumbs over the ice cream.
- Freeze until firm.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add salt and cream of tartar, and beat until slightly stiff.
- Gradually beat in sugar until peaks form.
- Fold in 2 teaspoons creme de menthe or mint flavouring.
- Spread meringue over pie right to the to edges.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.