I have been making this for years and it is easy to make and so good. It makes quite a large cheesecake. I sometimes use light cream cheese to save on calories but don't sub with skim condensed milk or the cheesecake won't set. Gelatine is not needed it is the lemon juice that sets this cheesecake. I don't really know how long this takes from start to finish but it is easy so therefore quick to make, the chilling and decorating takes up most of the time. I have estimated 10 mins to make and about 20mins to decorate. Haven't counted time to set.
- 1 (7 ounce) packet cookie crumbs or 1 (7 ounce) packetplain cookies, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, more if desired
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 18 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3⁄4-1 cup lemon juice
- 1 (5 ounce) packet after dinner mints, i use squares cut in half diagonally
- 10 fluid ounces thickened cream, whipped & sweetened
- Melt butter and add to biscuit (cookie) crumbs and cocoa.
- Press into the bottom (no need to do sides) of a foil (2 sheets) covered pan, I use a round 9" pan, chill until ready for filling.
- Beat cream cheese until soft then very slowly add condensed milk, beating as you add so it doesn't go lumpy.
- Add lemon juice and beat until smooth, pour into prepared pan, it should be reasonably thick once juice is added.
- Chill until set, then freeze for an hour – this makes it easy to remove from pan and to decorate, then place on serving plate.
- Melt about 8 mints with a tiny amount of the cream, I use the microwave on very low setting for about 15 to 30seconds (the cream is added so it won't be too hard to spread), you could use more mints here, just allow enough mints for decoration, spread melted mints over very cold cheescake.
- Spread enough whipped cream on top to cover the chocolate mint, smooth top and pipe the rest around the edges if you wish – I like to run a fork across top in lines so the chocolate shows through.
- Arrange mints, halved diagonally, around the top edge of cake or decorate as you wish.