1/1 Photo of Chocolate Mint Meltaways
from Bon Appetit Magazine, December 1990. Festive cookies spread with minted white chocolate and coated with dark chocolate. These have always been well received. The original recipe calls for piping the cookies out into ovals with the centers filled, but I found them very difficult to pipe, so I always hand-form them as described below. Also, I've always found that I can halve the ganache and have plenty for my taste. The chocolate coating amounts are just right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whipping cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 9 ounces imported white chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1For cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 2 heavy large cookie sheets. Using electric mixer, cream butter and extracts in medium bowl until light. Beat in sugar. Beat in half of flour. Stir in remaining flour. Roll the dough into small balls and flatten them slighty. Bake until golden brown on edges, about 12 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and cool.
- 2For ganache: Bring cream and butter to simmer in heavy small saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Mix in extract. Refrigerate just until firm enough to spread, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 3Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Using small metal icing spatula, spread 1 teaspoon ganache over flat side 1 cookie. Arrange ganache side up on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ganache is firm, about 30 minutes.
- 4For coating: Melt bittersweet chocolate and vegetable shortening in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from over water.
- 5Grasp cookie on sides and dip ganache side into bittersweet chocolate; shake cookie to remove excess chocolate. Place cookie on same sheet, chocolate side down. Repeat with remaining cookies. Chill until chocolate sets, 30 minutes. Remove cookies from foil.
- 6(Can be prepared 2 weeks ahead. Refrigerate in single layers in airtight containers. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.).
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Mint Meltaways
Serving Size: 1 (1211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.3
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 8.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 1.8 g