Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, Firmly Packed
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, Unbleached
- 1⁄2 cup butter, Softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
CHOCOLATE MINT FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- chocolate leaves
- chocolate shavings
- chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, combine mint-chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and butter; beat until creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in chocolate mixture.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture alterantely with remaining 1 cup of water.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cakes test done.
- Coll completely on wire racks.
- Fill nd frost with Chocolate Mint Frosting.
- Garnish as desired.
- CHOCOLATE-MINT FROSTING:
- Combine over hot (not boiling) water, the mint-chocolate chips and butter.
- Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar alternately with milk; beat until smooth. (if necessary add more milk until desired consistency is reached.)
- Use chocolate curls and grated chocolate on top of the cake.
- Form a ring of grated chocolate pieces around the outside edge and use the curls in the center.
- To make chocolate leaves, select several small leaves, wash and dry them and paint one side of them with melted chocolate.
- Chill until firm and peel the leaf off the chilled chocolate.
- Use as garnish.