Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
What could be more satisfying then to make your own homemade ice cream?
- 1 cup spearmint, leaves (preferably)
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- Mix the spearmint leaves with half of the sugar and chop as finely as possible.
- Set a bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt 2 ounces of the chocolate; remove from heat.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk until creamy; let cool.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then fold in the chopped spearmint.
- Fold the whipped spearmint cream into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Freeze the mixture in a 2 quart dish.
- When the ice cream becomes crisp at the edges, whisk for two minutes.
- Return mixture to the freezer and continue whisking process (previous step) every 45 minutes until it is just set.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold in the remaining sugar, then fold into the frozen ice cream.
- Finally grate the remaining 1 ounce chocolate and stir into the ice cream.
- Return the ice cream to the freezer until completely set.
- Delicious served decorated with chocolate dipped spearmint leaves.