Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Taste of Home Magazine
- 1 (10 ounce) package mint chocolate chips, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- colored sprinkles (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips; stir. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle chocolate with sprinkles if desired.
- Place on waxed paper; refrigerate until set.