Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 3⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, fine quality, finely chopped
- Special equipment needed: ice cream maker.
- Stir together 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch.
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1 1/2 cups milk in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring. Stir cornstarch mixture again and whisk into chocolate. Return to a boil, whisking, then remove from heat.
- Add mint, a pinch of salt, and half of chocolate to saucepan, stirring.
- Set saucepan in a large bowl of ice water to cool, whisking frequently.
- Freeze chocolate mixture in ice-cream maker. When nearly frozen, add remaining chocolate and churn until blended.