Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are THE BEST Christmas cookies ever! They taste a lot like Panera's holiday crinkle mint cookies. Recipe is from RecipeGirl.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons green sugar crystals (optional)
- mint truffles or candy cane, flavored hershey's kisses
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, and extracts until well blended.
- Stir dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate for two hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix powdered sugar and green sugar. Roll cookie dough into 1 inch balls, roll in sugar mixture, and place 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookies sheets.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. While baking, unwrap Kisses. When cookies are done baking, immediately press a Kiss in each cookie. Place cookie sheet in refridgerator or freezer (Kisses will not hold their shape if allowed to cool at room temperature).
- When Kisses are set, remove from refridgerator and store in an airtight container. ENJOY!
These are wonderful and very easy to make! Had to fight off the family in order to save them for the gifts they were intended to be. Can see this is going to be a "Make 1 batch for family and 1 for gifts" kind of recipe in the future!! BTW, I did NOT do the peppermint kisses on top - they were delicious as "just" cookies. I'm now making a batch with dark chocolate chips in them by request to see how that works as an "alternate" recipe.
So Yummy!!! These were a big hit with friends and family. I may have overmixed the batter because they were quite sticky to roll into balls. My DD put Pam on her fingers to form the balls easier. Make sure not only the cookies but also the kisses cool completely in the fridge before taking them out, so be sure to plan for plenty of fridge time. Well worth the little effort these require!!! A fun addition to your holiday cookie platter!
The best and prettiest cookie on my Christmas tray this year!