Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a decadent versin of an after-dinner mint! The sour cream gives this cheesecake and exceptionally light and creamy texture. Prep time is a guesstimate, and cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 (9 ounce) box chocolate cookie crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Wrap bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with wide heavy duty foil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs and melted butter until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press evenly into bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake 6-8 min or until set; cool on wire rack.
- Place 6 oz. of chocolate in medium bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir frequently until chocolate is smooth and melted; remove bowl from saucepan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar at low speed until smooth.
- Beat in flour. Beat in 2 of the eggs just until combined; repeat with remaining 2 eggs. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla just until blended.
- Reserve 2 cups of this batter in another medium bowl; stir in 1 teaspoons peppermint extract.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the batter in the large bowl until completely blended; pour into crust.
- Place pan in a large shallow roasting pan or broiler pan. Fill with enough hot tap water to come halfway up sides of the springform pan.
- Bake 35 minute. Carefully slide out oven rack several inches and pour the reserved peppermint batter evenly over cheesecake.
- Bake 25 min or until edges are puffed and top is dry to the touch. Center should move slightly when pan is tapped but should not ripple as if liquid.
- Remove cake from water bath; remove foil. Place on a wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place 6 oz. finely chopped chocolate in another large bowl. Place cream, 2 Tbs. butter and corn syrup in heavy medium saucepan; heat over medium heat 2-3 min or until hot but not boiling. Remove saucepan from heat as soon as first bubble appears.
- Pour over chocolate and let stand for 1 min to soften. Stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Pour glaze over cooled cheesecake in pan, spreading evenly over top; refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.
- Store in refrigerator. Cheesecake can be made up to 3 days ahead; stor in refrigerator.