Recipe by Alison J.
I have no idea where my mother got this recipe, but it has been a holiday staple in our family for decades. Simple, quick, and delicious!
- 1 cup margarine
- 4 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- green food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt chocolate and margarine, then combine with sugar, flour, vanilla, salt, and eggs. Blend with electric mixer on low until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread mixture into a greased 13"x9" baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes - until a toothpick stuck in the centre of the pan comes out clean.
- Allow bars to cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Combine icing sugar, water, and peppermint extract to make the icing.
- The icing needs to be drizzled over the cooled bars, so consistency may need to be adjusted. If the icing is too watery, add a little more icing sugar; if the consistency is too thick, add a little more water.
- Stir green food colouring into the icing until you are happy with the colour.
- Use a spoon to drizzle icing back and forth, up and down all over the cooled bar mix.
- Allow icing to set by placing the pan in the refrigerator. Cut into bars.