Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This divine dessert is a chocoholic's dream come true with its moist made-from-scratch cake and crunchy meringue.
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon toffee pieces or 1 tablespoon almond brickle chips
- 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate, shaved
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; trace two 8-inch circles 1 inch apart on the paper; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa over meringue; gently fold inches Fold in vanilla. Spread evenly over circles. Bake at 275°F for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and do not open door; Let meringues dry for 1 hour. Remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight container.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vinegar and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda; add to batter alternately with buttermilk and water. Pour into two 9-inch round baking pans coated with nonstick cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup whipped topping over one cake layer; top with a meringue and another 1/2 cup topping. Top with second cake layer, 1/2 cup topping, second meringue, and remaining topping. Sprinkle with toffee bits and shaved chocolate.