1/1 Photo of Chocolate Meringue Recipe
The recipe is froma baker, instructor and author, Nick Malgieri. Makes enough to make 2 or 3, 9 to 10 inch layers or a large shell and cover.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2Sift the cocoa powder through the finest strainer you have, to eliminate any lumps. Thoroughly combine it with 1/4 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- 3Pour the egg whites into a clean, dry bowl. Begin by whipping them with a mixer set on medium speed.
- 4Add the salt and allow the egg whites to whip until they are whip, opaque and begin to hold a soft peak, 2 or 3 minutes. Increase the speed to high and pour in the remaining sugar (1 cup) in a very slow stream. This should take about 2 minutes.
- 5The egg whites should retain a dull appearance. If they become shiny, you are adding the sugar too quickly, it is melting fast and the meringue is losing air. By the time you have added the sugar (1 cup), the egg whites should be very stiff, but not dry and separated.
- 6With a rubber spatula, fold in the sugar and cocoa mixture, scattering it over the egg whites in three or four additions. Fold quickly but gently to retain as much air as possible.
- 7Proceed immediately to the piping or shaping of the meringue before it has a chance to lose air from standing.
- 8Bake for 30 minutes. The meringue needs to set quickly before the fat in the cocoa breaks down the meringue, making it fall. Rotate the pan so it bakes evenly.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Meringue Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.9
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 31.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g