Chocolate Meringue Pie (Mama's Favorite)
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt with milk. Add melted chocolate. Cook over hot water or very low heat until slightly thickened (about 20 minutes).
- Beat egg yolks. Add a little hot milk mixture and return to the first mixture, stirring constantly.
- When thick, remove from heat (about five minutes).
- Add vanilla and pour into baked shell.
- When filling is cool, top with meringue made by beating egg whites, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar until still enough to hold in peaks.
- Place on the pie and brown in a slow oven (325 degrees) about 15 minutes.