Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A recipe from Southern Living in a section about Blue Plate Specials.
Make and share this Chocolate Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar, flour, and cocoa in a medium saucepan.
- Beat milk and egg yolks together in medium bowl and slowly add to saucepan using a wire whisk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Stir pudding until butter is melted.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin while making meringue.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tatar at high speed of mixer until foamy.
- Slowly add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes).
- Pour pudding into cooled baked pie crust.
- Spoon meringue onto pudding and carefully spread making sure to completely cover pudding and edge of crust.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Like others have noted, there is something off about the cocoa to sugar ratio in this recipe. It makes it overly rich and taste like straight cocoa. The meringue turned out good. And no I didn't just not make it right, I'm not an idiot and I've been baking since I was 12 so I know how to make a pie. I wouldnt recommend this recipe.
Either too much sugar or too little cocoa. It looked good, set well but I really don't recommend the chocolate filing. I would never make it again.
This was wonderful, everything came out perfect. I used Stevia instead of sugar in the filling which gave it a yucky aftertaste, so I would not recommend that. But that was all me, the recipe was excellent.