Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
The meringue is the crust not the topping. This is a rich, fluffy alternative to chocolate cream pie. This is a great one for people like me who are pie crust challenged.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) chocolate bars with almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tarter till frothy.
- Add sugar gradually.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in nuts and vanilla.
- Spread in the bottoms and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake for 50 min at 300*.
- Cool completely.
- Breat up 3/4 of the chocolate bar into pieces and melt in double boiler.
- Cool chocolate slightly.
- Meanwhile whip cream.
- When chocolate is just lukewarm, fold in whipped cream and vanilla.
- Pile filling into cooled crust.
- Grate remaining chocolate over top to garnish.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.