Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Direct from The South Beach Diet On-Line
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, lumps removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- light whipped topping, such as Cool Whip (1 tablespoon per sandwich)
- Tip: Make sure your bowl is completely dry and clean of grease or the whites will not whip up enough.
- Preheat oven to 250°F
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean bowl or electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk at highest speed until whites form soft peaks that hold their shape when you lift the whisk.
- Add the sugar substitute, 1 tablespoon at a time; whisk until whites turn glossy and form stiff peaks that hold their shape. Do not underbeat.
- Whisk in cocoa and vanilla until blended.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fit a large star nozzle into a pastry bag. Fill pastry bag with meringue.
- Pipe 20 meringue kisses onto prepared sheets.
- Bake 30 minutes, until crisp and dry.
- Turn oven off, let cookies cool in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet.
- Sandwich pairs of cooled cookies together with whipped topping.
- These cookies will keep for a week, tightly covered. Wait to sandwich the cookies together until just before serving.
A great alternative to one of my seasonal favorites! I didn't even use the Cool Whip and they were great! I suppose the "sandwich" version is good, too, but why tamper with perfection" Thanks for the great post!