Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe is out of "Home Cooking" magazine. These cookies will satisfy your sweet tooth without too many calories, as each cookie is only 40 calories with 7 g carbs, 1 g fat, zip-zero cholesterol. What more can you ask for?
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground coffee, very finely ground fresh (or powdered instant coffee)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, flour, coffee and water. Beat on low until combined, turn mixer to high, and beat 3 to 4 minutes until mixture resembles marshmallow topping. Using a rubber spatula, fold in hazelnuts. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets; bake 15 to 18 minutes or until tops crack.
The batter never thickened for me (perhaps I beat the egg whites too much before adding the other ingredients?)... so, I omitted the nuts and baked in small cake pans. Consequently, I had to increase baking time. They rose beautifully and the flavour is amazing (I did reduce the sugar by almost half, which I STRONGLY recommend. I'd like to try them in mini muffin pans if I get the same result next time, I think they would look great.