Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Dessert or snack for the low calorie lifestyle. This comes from whatscookingamerica website.
Make and share this Chocolate Meringue Cookies - Low Calorie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line non-stick baking sheets with parchment paper or use the Silpat sheets to prevent the cookies from sticking.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup cocoa and sugar together; set aside.
- In a large bowl using your electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.
- While beating, add salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract.
- Add the cocoa/sugar mixture, 1 tablespoons at a time, until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto non-stick baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon cocoa and cinnamon.
- Using a sieve or a sifter, sprinkle mixture over the non-baked cookies.
- Bake 90 minutes; turn off the oven, open the door slightly (secure with a wooden spoon), and allow cookies to cool in the oven.
- Remove from oven and store in a tightly covered (airtight) container.
This was one of the recipes that I had in mind when I finally purchased an electric hand mixer. Needless to say, I felt that this was truly a letdown. I had high hopes for this recipe, what with all the envisions of light melt-in-your mouth cookies worth only 10 calories! The pictures on the website were so promising!
On my first try, I found that my egg whites weren't reaching the soft peak stage, much less the stiff peak stage. I decided to do a redo, but only this time I wasn't going to whisk the cocoa in. Instead, I folded the cocoa into the egg whites after they had been whipped.
After baking them for an hour, I was shocked to discover that my lovely meringue cookies had burnt! This is one recipe that definitely has some kinks that need to be worked out.
it was terrible!!! i was really looking forward to them and after about 45 min the were burnt!!!