1/2 Photos of Chocolate Meringue Cookies
There are the best chocolate meringues ... crispy on the outside and a bit gooey on the inside. It's like eating a rich fudgy brownie. You would never know they were not only fairly low in fat, but also in calories (at least for something that yummy and chocolatey). The recipe comes from the Creative Chef 2 Cookbook, put out by the Tourette's Association of America. It was one of the best cookbooks I ever had. Note: Although the cookies do expand somewhat, they shouldn't flatten and spread too much, as the thicker they are, the more fudgey the center will be. The extra room is also to allow for more air to circulate the meringue, making for a more even texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2Grease the cookie sheets, and cover with parchment paper or wax paper.
- 3(I usually spray the paper with non-stick vegetable spray).
- 4Melt the chocolate chips over hot water in double boiler.
- 5If you prefer (and this is the way I prefer doing it), you can melt them in the microwave.
- 6Start by cooking for 20 seconds.
- 7Stir and return to the microwave for another 10 seconds.
- 8Stir again, and repeat the process until all the chips are melted.
- 9Beat the egg whites until foamy, and then begin gradually adding the sugar while continuing to beat.
- 10Beat until stiff.
- 11Then beat in the vanilla and vinegar.
- 12Gently fold in the chocolate and nuts, if desired.
- 13Drop the batter, a teaspoon at a time, onto the sheets, leaving about 3 inches between each.
- 14Bake for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- 15Remove immediately from sheets.
- 16Store in airtight container.
- 17NOTE: Try not to store these for too long.
- 18Although they will keep, they will dry out a bit and lose that gooeyness inside somewhat, which is what makes them so special.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 34.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 0.4 g