Recipe by Julesong
Making cake with mayonnaise is an old tried and true method, but many folks are surprised when they first learn about it. Never fear, it really does work! And deliciously so, I might add... :)
Top Review by Kat in Texas
SUPERB cake! The cake part is so light, it almost melts in your mouth and the frosting is rich & chocolaty. I'm not a big cake fan and have rarely baked them over the years, but I'll make an exception for this one. It's particularly nice, compared to the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type of cakes that always seem to be served. I used all-purpose flour (didn't have unbleached) and doubled the frosting (my husband is a chocolate&frosting maniac) and it came out great. I only had to bake it 30 minutes by my oven. So very glad you found and shared this recipe!
- 3 cups flour, unbleached, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa, baking
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (use a good quality mayo: Best Foods or Hellmann's)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, cold
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half or 3 tablespoons light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons regular margarine (butter preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the mayonnaise and sugar and beat at medium until blended.
- With mixer running, gradually add the cold water and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to mayonnaise mixture, beating until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in cake in pan on rack.
- Meanwhile, begin your Fluffy Chocolate Frosting: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, half and half or light cream, and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; let boil 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until the consistency is fluffy and is spreadable.
- When cake has cooled, frost it with the Fluffy Chocolate Frosting.
- Cut in squares and enjoy! :)