Recipe by Debbie Smith
Great Aunt Peg was a crazy lady, but she had some excellent recipes for the kitchen! This is one of the best recipes to come from her and will produce a moist home-made cake for the chocolate lover in everyone.
Top Review by Ann K.
Ok UPDATE!!!!! I let the cake sit overnight and tasted it again and it was Delicious!!! Sooooooo much better... So on that note I changed my rationg from 3 stars to 5! I am a true believer that you can make a delicious chockolate cake with mayonnaise lol I thought this cake was just ok...Not a bad recipe but certainly not one one that Id make again anytime soon.It does bake up fluffy and moist but it definitely is Not sweet enough so it really needs 1/2 cup more sugar. I felt like it wasnt chocolatly enough just my own personal preference.if your looking for a fast and very few ingredient chocolate cake then this recipe is Perfect!!
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by rubbing inside with butter and coating lightly with flour.
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with the Easy Penuche Icing for a caramel flavour to balance the cake nicely.