Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great Aunt Peg was a crazy lady, but she had some excellent recipes for the kitchen! This is one of the best recipes to come from her and will produce a moist home-made cake for the chocolate lover in everyone.
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by rubbing inside with butter and coating lightly with flour.
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with the Easy Penuche Icing for a caramel flavour to balance the cake nicely.
Ok UPDATE!!!!! I let the cake sit overnight and tasted it again and it was Delicious!!! Sooooooo much better... So on that note I changed my rationg from 3 stars to 5! I am a true believer that you can make a delicious chockolate cake with mayonnaise lol I thought this cake was just ok...Not a bad recipe but certainly not one one that Id make again anytime soon.It does bake up fluffy and moist but it definitely is Not sweet enough so it really needs 1/2 cup more sugar. I felt like it wasnt chocolatly enough just my own personal preference.if your looking for a fast and very few ingredient chocolate cake then this recipe is Perfect!!
Really good. Used the penuche frosting recommended by Debbie. Thanks!!
wow!!! this was delicious!!! however...i added more coco than required and omg...it was great!!!