Recipe by Norahs Girl
This cake is very moist and has a light chocolaty taste.
Top Review by Dianne03
Super good cake. The frosting is to die for! It reminds me of the frosting my aunt used on her caramel cake. I caught my DH eating it with a spoon out of the pan on one of his midnight snack runs! Oh well, I made it for him since he is a chocolate fanatic! NurseDI, keep sending these great recipes. I think my DH is in love with you! Hee! Hee!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (I use bournville)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Brown Sugar Icing
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup tightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups icing sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl sift together the flour,,cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Add sugar.
- Add water,Mayo and vanilla and beat at a medium speed in your food mixer until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square or 11x7x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cake settle in tin for about 5 minutes before turning out.
- Cool completely.
- Icing ******* Melt butter in a pan on a medium heat,stir in brown sugar,stir until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in Milk.
- Gradually add icing sugar and beat by hand to get a spreading consistency.
- Then ice cake.
- For this cake don't substitute low-fat mayo for regular.