Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A yummy chocolate bundt cake with a Mayan twist! Adapted from Nestles.
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, baking bar broken into small pieces
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, baking bar broken into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease 12-cup Bundt pan.
- FOR CAKE:.
- Microwave chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in melted chocolate.
- Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert cake onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer cake to serving platter. Drizzle cake with chocolate glaze. Let set before serving.
- FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE:.
- Microwave chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 45 seconds; Stir. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted.
- Put 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar in medium bowl. Form a well; pour in butter, whipping cream, salt and melted chocolate. Stir until blended. If necessary, add remaining powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until pouring or drizzling consistency is reached.
- Spoon chocolate glaze over top of cake. Let stand until glaze is firm.
I recently made this for a family reunion. I used a 9 x 13 pan and it worked fine.
Everyone loved it. The cinnamon/chocolate flavor was very nice but I think the next time I make it I'll add a bit more of the cayenne pepper.
I also think it would be good with whipped cream as my husband and I had a piece with vanilla ice cream over it and it was delicious!
i was declared 'best baker ever' by all who had this cake. it was so delicious! easy to make, loved it!
This was great. I love the chocolate-cinnamon combo. I think in the future I will made a vanilla glaze to go on this but that is just personal preference. I made this for ZWT5.