Recipe by swissms
Published in Bon Appetit, April 2004. A very smooth chocolate cheesecake. Make a day ahead so it can refrigerate overnight.
- 2 cups finely ground chocolate graham cracker crumbs (from about 36 squares)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in processor to blend. Add butter; process until moist clumbs form.
- Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch high sides.
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven but maintain oven temperature. Cool crust in pan on rack.
- Wrap outside of pan with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. The foil will keep the water bath from leaking into the cheesecake.
- Stir chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water until melted and smooth. Cool to lukewarm.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until smooth and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Gradually add flour, beating until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended.
- Mix in mascarpone cheese, then melted chocolate.
- Pour filling into crust. Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with enough water to come halfway up around exterior of springform pan.
- Bake cake until filling is just set in center but still moves slightly, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from water bath; transfer to rack and cool completely, about 4 hours. Cover and chill overnight.
- Run knife around top edge of cheesecake to loosen. Release pan sides. Transfer cake to platter.