1/7 Photos of Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies
1 hr 5 mins
These are, in a word, sublime. This is not a recipe to cut back on the quality of the ingredients; since you're going to be buying mascarpone cheese anyway (which isn't cheap), go for the gold and buy high-quality chocolate too. I like using the Lindt dark chocolate in this. Thanks to the Cookworks Show on Food Network Canada, where I saw this recipe being prepared and immediately knew it was a winner. After baking one batch, I knew I had gone to Brownie Heaven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room-temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F; have ready a buttered 8-inch square glass cake pan.
- 2First, prepare the brownies.
- 3In a small saucepan, melt the butter and bring it to just below a boil; have the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl--pour the hot butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds.
- 4Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- 5Sift in the sugar and cocoa powder (I do this through a sieve, not with a sifter).
- 6With a wooden spoon, beat in the mascarpone, eggs (30 minutes on the counter brings them to room temperature) and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- 7Gently fold the flour and salt into the batter.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly--this is important since, if the batter isn't spread evenly, it won't bake evenly.
- 9Place into preheated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean (45 minutes did it for me).
- 10Place pan on a cooling rack and let brownies cool for 10-15 minutes, while you now make the ganache.
- 11Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl; in a small saucepan, bring the cream and the butter to just below the boiling point, over medium heat.
- 12Pour this hot cream-butter mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth; ganache is now ready to use and can be spread over the brownies.
- 13Should you wish to wait a bit, make sure the ganache is warm when you spread over the brownies, as it does firm up which makes spreading hard to do.
- 14Don't cut into the brownies until ganache has firmed up; I find it best to put the brownies into the fridge to speed this along; once the ganache is firm the brownies do not need to be kept in the fridge, though.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.5
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 58.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: