Recipe by BeachGirl
My favorite chocolate cake, and heart-healthy, too! A deep, dark chocolate cake that I'm proud to serve my family. Prune Butter replaces the customary oil, but it tastes sooo good, you'd never know it's low-fat. A light 7-Minutes Icing is the perfect complement. For Valentine's Day, add a drop or two of red food coloring and 2 drops of peppermint or spearmint to the icing. I modified the recipe from the June/July 1998 issue of Light & Tasty magazine. If you can't find Prune Butter (Lekvar), try Rita's "Lekvar Prune Plum Filling " Lekvar Prune Plum Filling or (Apricot).
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup skim milk
- 8 ounces lekvar prune butter
- 1 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (measured, then sifted)
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa (measured, then sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To keep cake low-fat, use either a Seven-Minute Frosting or a powdered sugar glaze.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of two 8-inch cake pans or one 9-inch springform pan with Baker's Joy or grease and flour them.
- In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Place Lekvar (Prune Butter) in large mixing bowl; gradually add all other liquids, mixing on SLOW speed. (Unless you want to wear this)
- Add half of dry ingredients and mix 1 minute.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes (8-inch pans) or 40-50 minutes (9-inch springform) or until done. (Toothpick comes out clean when inserted into middle of cake.)
- Cool in pans.
- Gently run knife around edge of cake.
- Place flat parchment-lined pan/plate on top and invert to remove each cake layer.
- Frost with 7-Minute Frosting.
- If you want to make it very decorative, melt 1-ounce unsweetened chocolate and drizzle it over the frosting, letting some of it run down the sides.
- IMPORTANT TIP: I always wrap little insulating strips, soaked in water and squeezed, around the outside of each cake pan.
- The brand I use is MagiCake by J P Products, and these work well.
- OMIT THIS LINE
- OMIT THIS LINE
- The purpose of these strips is to keep the cake from forming a hump in the middle of the cake layers by preventing the outside edges from cooking before the centers cook.
- I couldn't make flat cake layers without the MagiCake strips.