Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Honest, this is the best chocolate fudge. Very, very creamy and just the right amount of chocolate taste. My stepmom used to make this fudge all the time(especially at Christmas). I also give this out for a gift at Christmas. Everyone loves it and wants the recipe. Enjoy.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine sugar, evaporated milk, and butter in medium sauce pan.
- cook to soft ball stage Once it reaches the soft ball stage, take off heat and add chocolate morsels, marshmallow cream, vanilla, and nuts (I leave out the nuts) Stir until it is all combined well and melted.
- Pour into a aluminum foil lined 9x13" dish.
- Let cool When cooled, cut& don't forget to peel off the foil.
This turned out great, but I needed a little help knowing that soft ball stage is approx 240 degrees. The recipe also doesn't mention what heat level to use, so I cooked it at medium high. I think I would lower the heat a bit next time.
I poured it up in two 8" square pans so I could get half plain and half with pecans whaich had been chopped and dried out in the oven. That appealed to all of my family.
I have been making this fudge for 40 years, and it really IS the best! However, I cut the butter down to 2 tablespoons without any noticeable effect on it. Either way, it's still the best fudge in town!