Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love these cookies. Not only do they have stunning eye appeal, they taste great too!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 36 large marshmallows, cut in half (so there are two full circles, not two half circles.)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 4 -6 tablespoons hot milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa.
- Cream shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Form into 1 1/2 inch balls and bake on greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes. Press 1/2 a marshmallow onto each cookie, bake an additional 2 minutes, or until marshmallow is melted.
- Combine frosting ingredients. Spoon frosting over each cooled cookie. (Or for a more dazzling effect, pour frosting into the corner of a ziplock bag, snip off the corner, and drizzle frosting across cookie.).
My wife and I had these cookies today and they were awesome! I followed the recipe and it turned out great. Something I might try next time would be to flatten the dough. My cookies were more round & made it difficult to place the marshmallows.
Other than that, it was great!
These turned out to be my DS favorite christmas cookie this year! He loves them. The dough was way to soft for me to roll out though, so I refridgerated overnight. It didn't firm up too much though and was quite messy. I may have done something wrong as I was trying to get all my baking done as quick as possible as I was running out of time:) I am sure I will be having to make these again! The look very pretty on my cookie platters, too.
These cookies are great and beautiful! The dough was easy to work with - I used a 1 inch scoop/disher. The icing adds the extra eye and taste appeal. They look wonderful with other cookies or by them selves. My daughter took these to her high school and they were the favorite cookie of all! I only had one last night and it was a 4 - today it is a 5! I am upping the stars to reflect this!